Thursday, April 4, 2013

An Update

They tried taking my son off the oxygen last night, but his stats kept dropping so they turned it back on. I was really discouraged this morning.

My husband spent the day with the little guy at the hospital.  I went home this afternoon to take a shower, enter the last grades into the online grade book before the midnight deadline, and fold laundry in my PJs while watching TV. It was only a few hours, but it was a much needed break!

Thankfully he has had the oxygen tube turned off all day. On the way to pick up my daughter and head back to the hospital I got a text from one of the teachers at school. A few of them wanted to buy us dinner and take it to the hospital.

photo 10

Spaghetti anyone? They loved it! It was worth the mess I had to clean up. The linens needed to be changed anyway!

It was the first time we’d brought my daughter into the hospital. It was the first time in a week we'd been together as a family of four. The kids loved seeing each other! His face lit up when she walked in the door.


Unfortunately she did not want to leave to go home. She wailed for mommy all the way from our room on the 4th floor to the car. My poor husband had to carry her out in the rain, kicking and screaming. We have talked via Facetime twice since then. Even as the healthy one, this is a lot for a three-year-old to deal with.

All in all though it was a good day. The patient is now sleeping soundly and his stats are good. My husband and I are watching Grey’s Anatomy together – sort of. We might be in different places, but it works!

I’m praying that the night will go well and we will be home soon. Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers. It means a lot to us!


  1. What a cutie!! Bless his heart! They are adorable!

    My heart goes out to you! I know this is so hard! I'm still praying!! He looks good!!! Keep getting better, buddy!!

    Collaboration Cuties

  2. I hope he's home soon, too! Thinking about you all.

  3. I have been thinking about you and your family! So sorry :( Hoping your son will get to leave soon! It is hard having your baby in the hospital for sure...My daughter was in 5th grade and I coudn't barely leave her side for 10 days! Try to hang in there!

  4. This was heartbreaking to read. My thoughts and prayers go out to you! Hang in there and try to stay positive.
    Fourth Grade Flipper

  5. It is so hard when our little ones are sick. Prayers to you and your family are back under one roof safe and sound very soon.

  6. I do hope your son is back home soon. I can only imagine how difficult this must be on your entire family.

    (I must say, when I saw the photo at first I was really worried what had happened to your son...then I read the post and saw it was spaghetti night!)

    Please take care.

  7. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way! Love the spaghetti picture! He looks like he had a good time! BIG HUGS!!
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

  8. Jenny! My heart is so full. I am so happy that you all are headed home. I was just telling my Mom about you and your sweet son. Congrats! I hope you all have a fantastic first day at home! :)

    The Brown-Bag Teacher